DevOps is formed by merging two words- Development and Operations. This term specifies the tasks and responsibilities performed by a company’s app development as well as IT operations teams combined. In this article, we will understand what are DevOps engineers’ skills that every aspirant should aim to acquire. We will also have an in-depth discussion about What is devops engineer, DevOps engineer roles and responsibilities, and the future of DevOps.
What is DevOps?
DevOps connects the road between development, IT operations, and quality assurance. DevOps is a set of practices that propagate collaboration and communication within these several teams. The targets of DevOps include merging daily tasks involved in the development, deployment, quality control, and integration of software development into a unified, free-flowing set of processes. Teams develop adequate and effective practices and principles that can make development cycles shorter and assist teams in perpetually delivering high-quality software.
Principals and Practices of a DevOps Engineer
There is not any official DevOps framework. However, following a few principles that can help as you execute DevOps in your organization:
- Automation of processes
- Continuously delivery good-quality systems
- Quickly take actions to improve processes on the feedback received
DevOps is a natural extension of Agile methodologies. DevOps addresses the insufficiency of communication and collaboration between the IT operations and development teams. On the other hand, agile workflows have different, separate objectives for operations and development teams. Using DevOps and agile together helps both teams to manage code releases and integration hassle-free and without any confusion.
DevOps Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
A DevOps engineer works with various teams and departments to build and execute software systems. People working in DevOps are experienced, knowledgeable IT professionals who join forces with software developers, quality assurance executives, and IT staff to manage code releases.
DevOps skills demand them to be able to multitask, showcase flexibility, and deal with various different situations at a particular time.
Specifically, DevOps Engineer Roles and Responsibilities Include:
- Documentation: Writes documentation and specifications for the server-side features
- System analysis: Examines and analyzes the technology currently being used and constructs plans and processes for further improvement and expansion. The DevOps engineer offers support for urgent analytic needs.
- Development: DevOps engineer roles and responsibilities also include developing, coding, building, installing, configuring, and maintaining IT solutions.
- Project Planning: Takes part in project planning meetings to impart their knowledge of system options, risk, impact, and cost vs benefits. Additionally, DevOps engineers convey operational requirements and development forecasts.
- Testing: Examines codes, processes, and deployments to identify ways to streamline and reduce errors.
- Deployment: Makes use of configuration management software to deploy updates and fixes into the production environment automatically.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting: Undertake routine application maintenance to ensure the production environment runs smoothly. Development of maintenance requirements and procedures.
- Performance management: Advises on enhancing the performance by performing gap analysis, identifying alternative solutions, and assisting with changes and modifications.
- Management: On the basis of the size of the organization, the DevOps engineer may also be responsible for managing and leading a team of DevOps engineers.
DevOps Engineers Skills that you should aim to master
The role of a DevOps engineer does not have a set career path. However, here are a few DevOps skills that you will require to build a good DevOps career for yourself.
- Software Development
Also, you can Read – Best Backend Programming Language
DevOps engineers must be capable of focusing on processes and procedures rather than results and implicit causes. You must try to understand a design problem prior to fixing it. Moreover, as a DevOps engineer, you must try to not force solutions that worked on old problems onto new ones.
Processes must be distinctly documented so that knowledge can be easily passed on.
- Agile Experience
Good working knowledge of agile software development environment surely helps a DevOps engineer.
- Product/Project Management
A DevOps engineer should have reasonable experience in developing projects and managing schedules.
On the academic front, this role requires a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a relevant field.
- Deployment/Configuration Management
DevOps engineers should know how to manage deployments and integrations using configuration management tools such as Jenkins, GitLab, Jira, or Git.
- Operating System Platforms
Another crucial DevOps skills include experience with Windows and Linux operating system environments.
- Problem-Solving and Troubleshooting
DevOps engineers must be able to immediately identify problems or bottlenecks in day-to-day procedures and processes. They suggest improvements and execute fixes as required to ensure the process meets expectations.
A DevOps engineer needs to work with several new people across varied teams. Thus, verbal and written communication among the teams is imperative.
What Is The Role Of A DevOps Team?
As established, the DevOps team bridges the gap between IP operations and engineering. Although DevOps teams don’t really work with external customers, they do have infused “customer first” mindset to ensure the delivery of quality service and products to internal and external customers. DevOps teamwork in unison with other teams to scale cloud programs, plan and create workflow processes, develop automation procedures, updates on deployment, and so on.
what is DevOps engineer , DevOps engineer roles and responsibilities are only going to increase in the foreseeable future. If you have the interest to pursue a career in DevOps, there are a plethora of opportunities available for you. Of course, DevOps skills are extremely important to have. A good understanding of deployment automation, testing automation, quality assurance, and version control can definitely scale up your credentials as a DevOps engineer. The field will likely grow and evolve, so there will be ample opportunities to find concrete DevOps jobs for you!
Ans- The term DevOps simply combines development and operations. Hence, it is about the amalgamation of the development of an application or service with the operations tasks of supporting it. DevOps encourages the easy flow of work through multiple frequent releases, early and wide-ranging feedback on modifications and automation wherever practical.
Ans- Yes. Applications function and deliver what the code tells them to. Without writing and rewriting that code will not change to reflect the varying requirements. For most organizations, DevOps team members write codes in Python, Linux, on AWS, or something.
Ans- DevOps is easy to learn, but not always the easiest to master. It does require a change of attitude and behavior. There may be a feeling of discomfort and of not fitting in before you get everything that is happening, but it usually takes just a bit of patience and trust.
Ans- The average entry-level DevOps salary in India is approximately INR 3,75,000. It can soar up to 14 Lakh in 3-4 years’ time.